What?!? Could it be?
Well, no, but I have the perfect alternative for you. The easy answer is the Ideal Protein Potato Puree (which I love, by the way.) But there is yet another easy and truly amazing option:
Wait, don’t close the page. This is really good and surprisingly not cauliflowery at all. (Is that a word?) It actually tastes a lot like mashed potatoes. There are simple recipes like this one shared by an Ideal Protein participant and blogger that taste great, but most of the recipes out there have milk and butter in them. Here’s another idea: use an Ideal Protein soup instead of milk and butter. It makes the puree very creamy. This time I used the Cream of Mushroom Soup, but any of them would work. In fact, I bet the potato puree would even be great in it!
Ideal Protein: Phase 1, 2, 3, 4
- 4 cups of chopped cauliflower
- 1 Ideal Protein packet of mushroom, chicken, leek, broccoli cheese, or potato soup (only a slight hint of the soup flavoring comes through in the cauliflower)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and simmer, covered, until cauliflower is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain water and transfer cauliflower to a blender. Add 1 Ideal Protein Soup packet and puree mixture until smooth.
- If mixture is too thick, thin by adding some water or chicken broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and any other preferred spices.
If you want to add a little oomph to this dish, do what Guy Fieri does in this recipe and roast some cauliflower to put on top of the puree. Chop up additional cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. It’s a delicious addition!
In case you missed it, check out some of my IP Thanksgiving survival tips.