Did you ever start a project, and then realize months later that you were so caught up with life that you forgot all about it?
That happened with this recipe, and as a result I’m sharing a soup recipe just as the weather is starting to change. Who wants to eat soup when it’s 80 degrees out? I do. They eat posole year-round in Mexico, right? It certainly wouldn’t stop me either.
Before I get to the recipe, a girl needs to brag… just a little. My Chicken Meatloaf Recipe won the Miracle Noodle Recipe contest last month! Woohoo! In case you missed it, check it out here.
Healthy Chicken Posole
Ideal Protein: Phase 4
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 6-ounce cans whole green chiles, drained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans hominy, drained
- Steamed or sautéed veggies of your choice.
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeño and garlic and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender, then add the chiles, cilantro and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and purée until smooth. (Or use an immersion blender. These are the best!)
- Return to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens and turns deep green, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, hominy and chicken to the saucepan. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with veggies.
Adapted from this recipe.
If you’d like to receive more healthy recipes directly to your inbox, subscribe to Ideal Diet for free. And if you try any recipes and find ways to make them better, please share your comments with us.